A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 582187 times)

Offline onecheck

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2440 on: February 04, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
onecheck,

Yep a lot of sauce for a pizzeria that sells a lot of pizzas.  :-D

In my opinion the 7/11's are a lot better than the Gangi sauce.

The stalk Italian oregano you purchased that from your neighborhood Italian supermarket will be a lot better than what can be purchased at a regular supermarket.  Thanks for the photos!  I use Greek oregano now along with oregano I grow, that is then dried, but then my sauce for market is not like Mack's.  You can come up with whatever version you like.

Glad you enjoyed the blog.  I almost forgot about it and messed it up, so don't post there anymore.

This is what the State Brand of cheddar looks like at Reply 143 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg97285#msg97285

If you want to try cheddar, the Cracker Barrell Vermont Sharp White cheddar is a good one to try.  It says sharp but really isn't. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648

You could use it along or with a mozzarella.

I don't recall trying the Murray cheese you posted a link to.

Have tried many brands of cheddar though, and recently was trying some new cheddar, cause it is hard to get the cheddar I normally do.  For some reason the new blend I was trying got some darker spots after baking.  I didn't like that so switched back to the cheddar that is harder for me to get now.

Glad to hear you like experimenting with different kinds of pizzas!  ;D

Norma

Thanks for your reply. I will try the the cheddar with the mozzarella cheese.

Offline Jrod738776

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2441 on: February 11, 2020, 08:51:58 AM »
Longtime lurker here and i read through a lot of this thread. Are there any quick links to posts within this thread for final recipes used? I know there was a lot of tinkering around with everything, just trying to see what people settled on as the best.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2442 on: February 12, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
Longtime lurker here and i read through a lot of this thread. Are there any quick links to posts within this thread for final recipes used? I know there was a lot of tinkering around with everything, just trying to see what people settled on as the best.

Jrod738776,

Before I try to answer your questions about quick posts or links, can you tell me what kind of oven set-up you have, access to ingredients and anything else you can tell us about your pizza making experiences?

Peter's posts are best for a home pizza maker.  Peter also did a lot of work on this thread.

I have been under the weather for the last 3 weeks, but am feeling some better now.  Will try to help if I can.

Norma

Offline Jrod738776

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2443 on: February 13, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
Jrod738776,

Before I try to answer your questions about quick posts or links, can you tell me what kind of oven set-up you have, access to ingredients and anything else you can tell us about your pizza making experiences?

Peter's posts are best for a home pizza maker.  Peter also did a lot of work on this thread.

I have been under the weather for the last 3 weeks, but am feeling some better now.  Will try to help if I can.

Norma

Hi Norma...I only have a standard home oven but ingredient wise i should be able to get anything. I like in NEPA and near several food service shops...stanislaus products, land o lakes cheddar, etc are all things i can get. I like to make the fried "victory pig" style pizza and NY pies...but I am also looking to make some of these NJ boardwalk pies, marucas in particular. I recently bought a 10# can of saporito super heavy with basil, which i am hoping will be a good start for the sauce.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2444 on: February 13, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
Hi Norma...I only have a standard home oven but ingredient wise i should be able to get anything. I like in NEPA and near several food service shops...stanislaus products, land o lakes cheddar, etc are all things i can get. I like to make the fried "victory pig" style pizza and NY pies...but I am also looking to make some of these NJ boardwalk pies, marucas in particular. I recently bought a 10# can of saporito super heavy with basil, which i am hoping will be a good start for the sauce.

Jrod738776,

Glad to hear you can get almost any ingredients!  Land O Lakes cheddar might be a good choice or the cheese, but will let that up to you want you want to try. 

You might want to try out Peter's formula for the dough at Reply 307 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472  for a Mack's pizza. As you might be able to tell Peter used a longer cold ferment time/and also extended it by using ice cold water.  If you want to try a shorter fermentation time that can be done. Saporito super heavy with basil is a good choice to try, with added ingredients and water. 

If you can get Kyrol flour or All Trumps that might be good too, but you can also try another flour.

If you look at Reply 2097 by Bill (Jersey Pie Boy), you can see their pizza's are first cheese and then the spiral of sauce.  No second addition of cheese of top of the sauce.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg442760#msg442760

I don't know a lot about Maruca's pizza though, so maybe someone else might chime in to help if you really want to try to make a Maruca's pizza. 

Good luck with your Victory Pig and NY style pizzas too!  :)

Norma

A D V E R T I S E M E N T