A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 591243 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2460 on: May 18, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
I found a video that explains emergency dough and changes in the amounts used.

George
George,

There are also three articles by Tom on emergency dough that I cited toward the end of the post at Reply 10 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61295.msg611957#msg611957

Peter

Offline gbakay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2461 on: May 18, 2020, 04:24:25 PM »
Oops, sorry Peter, I didn't want to duplicate the video.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2462 on: May 18, 2020, 04:41:23 PM »
Oops, sorry Peter, I didn't want to duplicate the video.
gbakay,

No harm done, and no need to apologize. I actually forgot that the thread I cited also had the video.

Peter

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2463 on: May 19, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »
Gave this a shot tonight, following mjnern post #2445.

I used Crisco, as I had no lard...plus the sauce went on first and pepperoni under the cheese as that is how my boy's like it.  For the sauce I followed mjnern's post, but I used Cento puree, as pickings are slim here in SoCal >:(.  Sauce was great...Had to bake at 500 for oven limitations and, while there was very little oven spring during the bake,  it had a nice finish crumb.  Was worried about the salt level, but t it was perfect. 

Overall Great flavor, Great pie. The kids loved it! Thanks....Cheers  (sorry for the photos, this computer stuff is a tad outside of my wheel-house)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:57:47 PM by Slowhands1964 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2464 on: May 19, 2020, 11:06:18 PM »
I'd hit that with all my might...... unusually tasty cheese browning, what a hybrid!  🤗🍻
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mjnern

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2465 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »

* The KABF/VWG Blend comprises 356.71 grams (12.58 ounces) of King Arthur Bread flour and 10.61 grams (0.37 ounces) of Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten (a bit more than 3 t.), based on a total protein content of 14.2% and using the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.toastguard.com/
Note: Dough is for a single 18 inch pizza; the corresponding nominal thickness factor = 0.08252; bowl residue compensation = 1%

Mack/Manco are not adding gluten to the flour.  I'm not sure what flour they use now, but when I was on the boardwalk, they used Lisanti Pizza Flour.  That was actually a re-labeled Lenz bread flour.  (I was close friends with Joe Lisanti and had plenty of insight as to Lisanti products.)

The formulation I came up with was intended to be for a dough that would be cold fermented for some time (for several days if I recollect correctly although Norma and I speculated that Mack's might have been using one or two days because of the volume), hence the small amount of yeast (IDY) for the longer fermentation period. I should add that Norma actually tried a two-day cold fermented dough, using about fifty percent more IDY. She suspected that Mack's was using a short fermentation period but she preferred the longer ones because she liked the taste of the finished crust better.

Mack/Manco does not cold-ferment their dough over a long period of time.  The dough is made pretty constantly, and they're using more yeast than I've used in order to compensate.  The dough is used within a few hours, at most.  As the environment in the stores is typically pretty warm, there's not a "huge" amount of yeast, but it would be on the order of 8oz/batch (using 50# bag of flour).

Norma and I were also aware of rumors that Mack's used lard (see, for example, Reply 880 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg176339;topicseen#msg176339 and Reply 924 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg177461;topicseen#msg177461), and while Norma played around with lard at some point (the rumor was that Mack's used 7%), we later decided to go with olive oil (she also tried soybean oil later because of its lower cost). Since oil, like water, has a wetting effect on the flour (but not hydrating effect), the combined values of water and oil comes to 60%.

They always used lard. They are *very* defensive about it.  However, there's only one use for lard in a pizzeria, especially when seeing multiple 55-gallon barrels being delivered.

Offline mjnern

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2466 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »

I used Crisco, as I had no lard...plus the sauce went on first and pepperoni under the cheese as that is how my boy's like it.  For the sauce I followed mjnern's post, but I used Cento puree, as pickings are slim here in SoCal >:(.  Sauce was great...Had to bake at 500 for oven limitations and, while there was very little oven spring during the bake,  it had a nice finish crumb.  Was worried about the salt level, but t it was perfect. 

Overall Great flavor, Great pie. The kids loved it! Thanks....Cheers  (sorry for the photos, this computer stuff is a tad outside of my wheel-house)

Nice job.

Mack/Manco uses a different stretch technique than you did that leaves a "puffier" edge with a more open crumb.  But otherwise, looks good.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2467 on: May 21, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »

That looks delicious! You said you're having trouble finding tomato sauce in So Cal, I've never been to the Mureritta location, but have you tried smart and final? The ones out here (Riverside/Corona) always have 7/11 and a few other brands. They're the ginormous #10 cans, but 7/11's like $4.50 and I freeze it.  They had a few fully prepared sauces too last time I went.

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2468 on: May 21, 2020, 06:40:26 PM »
That looks delicious! You said you're having trouble finding tomato sauce in So Cal, I've never been to the Mureritta location, but have you tried smart and final? The ones out here (Riverside/Corona) always have 7/11 and a few other brands. They're the ginormous #10 cans, but 7/11's like $4.50 and I freeze it.  They had a few fully prepared sauces too last time I went.

The Murrieta Smart and Final was my go to.  When this virus hit, they were cleared out of 7/11, and as of Tuesday still none.  7/11 is fantastic but I just can't stomach spending $17 bucks on Amazon....it was $5 bucks at smart and final....

Cheers

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2469 on: May 21, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
Nice job.

Mack/Manco uses a different stretch technique than you did that leaves a "puffier" edge with a more open crumb.  But otherwise, looks good.

Eh, I used a rolling pin, even though you said not to...LOL  Hey, I was in a hurry.   Thanks again....I'll get it right.  I'm still a hack!

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2470 on: May 23, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
Eh, I used a rolling pin, even though you said not to...LOL  Hey, I was in a hurry.   Thanks again....I'll get it right.  I'm still a hack!

To redeem myself, I put the rolling pin down!   >:D  Hand-tossed, yet with the same caveats as before...though this time I used corn oil, in lieu of crisco.  (My wife won't allow lard in the house LOL).  Darn fine crust sir, and sauce.  Makes for a great calzone too.  Thanks again!

Cheers, Kurt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2471 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »
To redeem myself, I put the rolling pin down!   >:D  Hand-tossed, yet with the same caveats as before...though this time I used corn oil, in lieu of crisco.  (My wife won't allow lard in the house LOL).  Darn fine crust sir, and sauce.  Makes for a great calzone too.  Thanks again!

Cheers, Kurt

That thing looks so beautiful Kurt, nice work!!   :chef:.  You're on your way....

Mancave the lard.  ;)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2472 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:39 AM »

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2473 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Nice job.

Gave this another shot tonight...Hand tossed with attention to the cornicone.  24 hr CF, 280 gram ball, 15 inch, ....Tossed 1/2 hour after taken out of the frig...Thin as the day was long, and thats how my kids like it.  tasty dough  thanks again

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:12:44 PM by Slowhands1964 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2474 on: May 30, 2020, 10:44:38 PM »

Niiiiiiisa pizza pie!!  🍕🕺🍻

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2475 on: May 31, 2020, 04:24:13 AM »
Gave this another shot tonight...Hand tossed with attention to the cornicone.  24 hr CF, 280 gram ball, 15 inch, ....Tossed 1/2 hour after taken out of the frig...Thin as the day was long, and thats how my kids like it.  tasty dough  thanks again

Great job!!

Norma

wordpress