Author Topic: fior di latte & soy bean oil?!?  (Read 407 times)

Offline Killa Joe

• I Love Pizza!
fior di latte & soy bean oil?!?
« on: May 24, 2016, 02:38:57 PM »
Anyone on our forums tried using fior di latte and soy bean oil for their Neapolitan pizza?  ???

As I'm getting ready to bake my first NP (very soon) I'm doing lots of Googling... of course I came upon the old and famous pizzeria,
L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele .  Touted as one of the best NP style pizzerias in the World it would be something a pizza freak would be interested in, naturally.

Traditionally (from what I have learned so far), that the Margherita pizza is made with bufalo mozzarella and olive oil.
da Michele is said to use fior di latte and soy bean oil. I have never had a Margherita pizza before (I know, tragic),  :'( so I have no clue regarding bufalo vs. fior di latte.... but soy bean oil?!??! 

For some reason I would never have imagined using soy bean oil on a pizza. So....has anyone here tried to copy da Michele's Margherita with the fior and soy bean oil and if so, how does it differ from the final taste of using bufala and olive oil?

KJ  8)

Got this info from this review....link below:

http://shefsherry.com/da-micheles-true-neapolitan-pizza/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:53:29 PM by Killa Joe »

Offline schold

Re: fior di latte & soy bean oil?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »
It's about money.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
The range of olive oil flavor is pretty broad. If you are comparing to one from the more mild part of the spectrum, you probably would not even notice a difference as compared to soy oil.  On the other hand, you almost certainly will notice a difference in taste between fior di latte/fresh mozz and buffalo mozz, however there is nothing wrong with using either on NP even if you want to hold fast to the AVPN standard.

Interesting quote from the link: "Da Michele’s is not recognized as a true Neapolitan pizza joint... First off is the cheese. Da Michele’s uses fior di latte–cow’s milk cheese, as opposed to mozzarella di bufala–buffalo’s milk cheese...The tomatoes…so fresh and sweet. The basil…slightly browned on the edges giving off a delicate perfume. The mozzarella di Bufala…so creamy and intensely rich."

When reading about pizza on the internet, keep in mind this immutable truth: about half the people writing about pizza have their head up their butt and the other half don't have a clue what they are talking about.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Killa Joe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and yes, LOL on the review. Seems she couldn't decide which cheese to go with...  :P

As I progress with my pizza making I will naturally try different oils and cheeses to differentiate in flavors, textures, etc..... I may actually write all my findings down somewhere as reference and make it a possible future posting.  ;D

Of course on my bucket list is Italy....Uffizi Gallery, da Michele and other pizzerias... :drool: :drool: :drool:

KJ  8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:32:36 PM by Killa Joe »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »
As I'm getting ready to bake my first NP (very soon)

What's standing between you and your first bake?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
KJ,

One of the forum's experts on the Neapolitan style discussed the oil situation at Reply 24 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=656.msg11520#msg11520

Peter

Offline Killa Joe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
What's standing between you and your first bake?

Fair question. Yes, my Blackstone has been assembled, cleaned, and blessed a few days ago. ;) I could have attempted my first bake at that time, but between work, redoing the kitchen, and reading up on NP on our forum I'm a bit stretched.

Mainly though, it was just me trying to "feel" comfortable enough with the basic ingredients and how to properly prepare and use them. At this point I'm there. So what is left? I will be getting my propane tank filled tomorrow. The plan is to bake this Sunday, so will need to buy bafala and a healthy basil plant to maintain and use.

I will attempt to make it close to "regulation" in my first and/or second bake, but I am used to putting some oregano and garlic on my pizza (that I buy) and here the rules say only sea salt on the Margherita.  :-\  So I will probably break some rules later on with garlic and oregano as I see fit.

KJ  8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:55:50 PM by Killa Joe »

Offline texmex

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 06:52:06 PM »
KJ,  I hope you hit it outta the park first try.  I totally get why you want to start from what you see as the top and work from there.  I'm not that disciplined, ever, but I have many friends who act just like you in different situations...  I feel it won't be difficult for you share it all with us along the way.
Reesa

Offline italdream

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
Anyone on our forums tried using fior di latte and soy bean oil for their Neapolitan pizza?  ???

As I'm getting ready to bake my first NP (very soon) I'm doing lots of Googling... of course I came upon the old and famous pizzeria,
L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele .  Touted as one of the best NP style pizzerias in the World it would be something a pizza freak would be interested in, naturally.

Unless you are Da Michele, which enjoys a special status being a living monument to NP pizza style, you should probably stick with olive oil. :)

Anyway, you will find entire dissertations on point in this forum. I am going to suggest that you start with a good fior di latte (buffalo mozza can be pretty watery) and you use a good EVOO, not too fruttato. If you do not want to go crazy, there are some decent mass-produced olive oils including one of the brands sold at Costco. This presumes that you like the flavor of a EVOO.