A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza  (Read 312450 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza
« Reply #740 on: January 26, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
This pizza was the one had added non-fat dried milk powder in the amount of 4% to the formula.  This pizza didnít brown as much as when adding dairy whey to the formula.  The moistness and oven spring were about the same as my regular preferment Lehmann dough pizzas.

First picture is of a regular preferment Lehmann dough pizza with nothing added to the mix.  That pizza was made  yesterday morning.  Rest of pictures are of the added non-fat dried milk powder.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #741 on: January 26, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
Rest of pictures of pizza made with non-fat dried milk powder.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #742 on: January 26, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »
This was the preferment Lehmann dough pizza, with the Better for Bread flour used instead of KASL.  This pizza did brown better and had more crisp in the crust.  The crumb wasnít as moist as when using the dairy whey. The moistness in the crust was almost like my regular preferment Lehmann dough pizzas and this pizza did get better oven spring, than the last pizza I made at home. Although Steve and I did enjoy this pizza, the added dairy whey pizza, was better in both of our opinions.  I will have to do a few more tests on the Better for Bread flour in the preferment Lehmann dough.  These last three pizzas were thinner than my normal preferment Lehmann dough pizzas, because I now use a higher TF.  I used the formula for the last three pizzas using one dough ball that was set forth in this thread.

I wouldnít have been able to make any of the pizzas or bread, if today was yesterday.  Instead of being on the pizza making detail, there would have been a shoveling detail.  When I awoke this morning this is what it looked like outside.  There is a winter storm warning, in our area until 1:00 pm tomorrow.  Looks like I will be on the shoveling detail today and tomorrow.  :-D

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #743 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »
Rest of pictures using Better for Bread flour in the formula.  What I wouldn't do for nicer weather and higher temperatures.   :-D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #744 on: January 26, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
This pizza did have much better browning than my other preferment Lehmann doughs without the added dairy whey.  The taste of the crumb was even better.  I donít know what caused that.  The crumb was moister than the other pies I baked today. Do you have any idea why the crumb was moister? 

Norma,

We have been paying the most attention recently to the browning issue because that was the issue that was yelling at us the loudest. However, in addition to helping with crust coloration, dairy whey also affects the texture/structure and flavor of the baked goods in which it is used, and apparently has attributes like hygroscopicity (it attracts water from its surroundings) that helps retain moisture in the dough (and helps retard staling). I observed many of these other effects when I did my dairy whey experiments some time ago but I wasn't sure how pronounced they would be in a dough such as yours using a poolish preferment. However, I found a good, comprehensive discussion of the effects of dairy whey in baked goods in an aarticle at http://www.usdec.org/files/Publications/1BAKERY.pdf. If you read that article, even casually without trying to understand all of the science, I think you will have a much better idea as to the role that dairy whey plays in baked goods.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #745 on: January 26, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
Norma,

We have been paying the most attention recently to the browning issue because that was the issue that was yelling at us the loudest. However, in addition to helping with crust coloration, dairy whey also affects the texture/structure and flavor of the baked goods in which it is used, and apparently has attributes like hygroscopicity (it attracts water from its surroundings) that helps retain moisture in the dough (and helps retard staling). I observed many of these other effects when I did my dairy whey experiments some time ago but I wasn't sure how pronounced they would be in a dough such as yours using a poolish preferment. However, I found a good, comprehensive discussion of the effects of dairy whey in baked goods in an aarticle at http://www.usdec.org/files/Publications/1BAKERY.pdf. If you read that article, even casually without trying to understand all of the science, I think you will have a much better idea as to the role that dairy whey plays in baked goods.

Peter

Peter,

I also agree that crust coloration has been yelling at us the loudest. I was always blaming my oven at market, how it baked the pizza. Thanks for referencing the above mentioned pdf.  I never knew all the things dairy whey added to dough.  From the time I first started making the formula you set-forth for the preferment Lehmann dough I did really like the dough, but always wanted more crust coloration.  I think the next few experiments will tell if the added dairy whey is the best way for me to make the preferment Lehmann dough.  Sometimes it  can take awhile to learn all what can go into making a better dough.  I appreciate you have helped in the course of the last year in trying to improve my dough.  I never wanted to use any bromated flour, so all your ideas have really helped, in creating a better dough, with no added conditioners of any kind.  I can also see now how much pizza and bread are related.  From the first time you set-forth the formula, basically using a Ciabatta bread formula and changing it into a pizza dough formula, this is what helped make this dough and pizza better, in my opinion.  When I tried the messed up dough ball in an experiment yesterday to see how the dough would behave in bread, this also made me see how related pizza is to bread.  Although I didnít take any extra steps in trying to use the messed up dough ball into bread.  It still worked.

I also want to thank you for contacting Cheryl, so I could try the dairy whey for better crust coloration.  I didnít know before how dairy whey would give a better moisture in the crumb.  Now if the next few tests do work out, I will have to contact Cheryl again and also see how I can purchase dairy whey from Hormel or where else I might be able to purchase the dairy whey.  I guess I did add WPC34.  I am not to sure what kind I added, but from my conversation with Cheryl, I would think it was that kind of dairy whey.

The one part taken out of the pdf. article that interests me is this part:

WPC34 produced the softest bread because it contained the least amount of calcium. The amount of calcium plays a role in the rate of firming of bread. The mechanism behind this points to the
fact that lower calcium WPCs aggregate at higher temperatures in the baking process, when there is more gelatinized starch, allowing the whey protein chains to extend
between the starch chains and decrease retrogradation. Increasing the lactose content in the dough can also produce bread that retains its softness for a longer period of time. This softness has been attributed to better emulsification of the fat in the formula. Lactose crystals in baked
goods also have unique water holding capacity. Optimal mixing times were increased with the use of all WPCs. When 2, 4 and 6% addition of WPC was tested, the
4% level of WPC34 yielded the highest loaf volumes. Controlled heat treatment of
WPC34 to achieve partial denaturation of the whey proteins has also been shown
to improve bread moistness and texture. 

Also this part of the pdf. article:

In baking, lactose is often used to replace sucrose for a variety of functional benefits. Compared to other sugars, lactose results in low relative sweetness, increased browning, enhanced emulsification action, moisture retention, non-hygroscopicity and enhanced flavors. When replacing sucrose (up to 50%), lactose can contribute to improved crumb texture and freshness, increased volume, reduced fat levels, improved gas retention, and enhanced flavor.

I think your choice of adding 4% of dairy whey to the formula was a good one.

Thanks for your help.  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:13:35 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #746 on: January 26, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
Norma,

It's been quite a ride, hasn't it ?  ;D I also couldn't help but notice that this thread, with 745 posts spread over 38 pages, is closing in on the basic Lehmann thread with 908 posts spread over 46 pages. However, it took us about 13 months from the start of this thread whereas the Lehmann thread got its start on 9/27/2004. Of course, you have made all kinds of things with the Lehmann dough other than pizzas, so those efforts have claimed their share of this thread's real estate. But, for what you have accomplished, I am sure that Milton Hershey is smiling down on you saying: "Atta girl, Norma. You didn't give up". No doubt he is also saying: "But, Norma, shouldn't you heed Jet_deck's advice that he gave in the thread at....(hmm, sorry, we don't use URLs up here) and spread your wings to bigger and better things? And, hasn't anyone told you that Harland Sanders, the "Colonel", started the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain on his Social Security checks?"

The above kidding aside, what has made the biggest impact on me since I have participated with you on this thread is how much an improvement and advantage a commercial deck oven is over a standard home oven. I also am surprised how we were able to tailor the preferment version of the basic Lehmann dough recipe to be usable at market only one day a week and with everything being done on the premises of the market, pursuant to the market rules, and not at home. Hopefully, you will be able to integrate the dried dairy whey into your market pizza.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #747 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »
Norma,

It's been quite a ride, hasn't it ?  ;D I also couldn't help but notice that this thread, with 745 posts spread over 38 pages, is closing in on the basic Lehmann thread with 908 posts spread over 46 pages. However, it took us about 13 months from the start of this thread whereas the Lehmann thread got its start on 9/27/2004. Of course, you have made all kinds of things with the Lehmann dough other than pizzas, so those efforts have claimed their share of this thread's real estate. But, for what you have accomplished, I am sure that Milton Hershey is smiling down on you saying: "Atta girl, Norma. You didn't give up". No doubt he is also saying: "But, Norma, shouldn't you heed Jet_deck's advice that he gave in the thread at....(hmm, sorry, we don't use URLs up here) and spread your wings to bigger and better things? And, hasn't anyone told you that Harland Sanders, the "Colonel", started the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain on his Social Security checks?"

The above kidding aside, what has made the biggest impact on me since I have participated with you on this thread is how much an improvement and advantage a commercial deck oven is over a standard home oven. I also am surprised how we were able to tailor the preferment version of the basic Lehmann dough recipe to be usable at market only one day a week and with everything being done on the premises of the market, pursuant to the market rules, and not at home. Hopefully, you will be able to integrate the dried dairy whey into your market pizza.

Peter

Peter,

It has been a great ride!  ;D I learned a lot in this thread.  I am always looking for the ďbeginning of a new adventureĒ, when it comes to pizza making.  I will always stay with the old until you or other members help me along the way in learning more. 

I knew this thread had a lot of posts, but didnít realize how many years the basic Lehman thread took to evolve.  It really didnít take that long to learn how to make the preferment Lehmann dough or even come up with new ideas for other foods using the dough of the preferment Lehmann dough.  I am not to quick to give up on doing anything I do in life and learning about pizza is also the same.  Milton Hershey went though many hardships in his life before he was successful.  I can only wish I had his great attitude.  As far as following Jet_deck's advice and spreading my wings and going on to bigger and better things, I am content with my small pizza business.  I really donít need a lot of things in my life to make me happy and money is one of those things I donít really need to make me happy.  I didnít know before that Harland Sanders, the "Colonel", started the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain on his Social Security checks.  That was interesting to know.  If I was younger and know what I have learned on this forum, I might have ďspread my wingsĒ and opened a bigger pizza business.  Steve and I were just talking about that yesterday.  We both said we would like to be able to operate a pizza business together, since we have learned so much on this forum, but then we both also said it would take the fun out learning with being so busy each day just trying to operate a pizza business.  With the economy being so iffy right now, so many small businesses fail. 

I can also see the advantages my commercial deck oven has over my home oven.  Unless someone can devise some way of changing a regular home oven (that canít get to high temperatures) it is harder to make a NY style pizza in a home oven without modifications.  I have seen that when even comparing my BBQ grill set-up with my home oven.  My deck oven isnít the newest, but it does bake any pizza much differently.  There is just more mass (on the deck) and the oven has holes to spread the heat over the top of the pizzas.  When I was trying to decide what kind of oven to buy for market, (before I even knew one thing about making pizza)  :-D after looking at many, I decided to go with an old-fashioned deck oven, because there were in use many years for NY style pizzas.  I am glad I decided to use a deck oven at market.  I even have two pizza businesses that want to buy my small market stand.  I sure donít know why they are so interested, because I have told them both I really donít make that much money from my market stand.  I told both of the pizza businesses about how much money I had invested to open my pizza stand business and they both said they would give me cash money for the stand.  I still can't figure that out why someone that has a successful pizza business would want to buy my small pizza stand.  If I can ever figure out how to successfully incorporate other kinds of pizzas at my pizza stand, I also will do that.

I was glad after the experimenting that I could make the preferment Lehmann dough at market, even if it is only one day a week.  Hopefully after the next few tests, I will be able to incorporate the dairy whey into the preferment Lehmann dough formula. 

Thanks for helping me on this ride.  :)
Norma
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:00:32 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #748 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
Norma,

When Steve, the owner and Administrator of this forum, asked for someone to volunteer to try to adapt the commercial Lehmann NY style dough formulation to home use, I thought that that would be an interesting assignment, so I volunteered. I had tried the Lehmann formulation before but my experience with it was fairly limited. So, that thread became a major learning experience for me. At the time, my modus operandi, which I adhere to even to this day, was to post when I had a workable recipe, with as much detail as I could muster to increase the chances of others reproducing what I had done. It took years to be able to get a critical mass of Lehmann recipes, and no doubt the diversity of those recipes attracted attention. By contrast, you were trying to find only one workable Lehmann recipe to use at market. So, what you did was evolutionary--where you detailed what you were doing as events unfolded, including both successes and failures. I also learned from that approach because I like to succeed as much as the next person, and I do not like to give up easily. I like intellectual challenges, and your situation offered those in spades. Unfortunately, the negative of this experience is that not many people relish the idea of reading 38 pages of posts to find a recipe to use, although there will always be a core group of members who like a stream of consciousness approach, much like reading a book where you don't know what is going to happen next. And you have made it interesting and compelling for members to want to see what happened with your latest dough experiment, with tons of photos that make one drool.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #749 on: January 26, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »
Peter,

I have seen all the work you have done on the basic Lehmann thread.  I know it has taken you a long time to do all the experiments and then also to post about your experiments so others could learn from what you did.  I wonder how many experiments you did that you didnít post about.  I can almost bet that you have some funny stories to tell about experiments that didnít work out like you wanted them to. I havenít seen you post about any new ideas or pizzas you have tried in awhile. I have seen how you go into every detail in all your posts, just as you do in learning anything you can about pizza.  I can understand how those posts and formulas now draw attention to many guests and also members.  The basic Lehmann thread is a great place for beginners or even more experienced guests or members.

I like success as much as the next person, but I donít mind failing or telling why I think I might have failed.  I have learned something from each failure and have also gained knowledge from each success.  I think this is a really long thread and I will continue to add to this thread, but I think most members or guests really donít want to try this formula because there is a poolish involved and also most members or guests donít have a commercial oven to try.  I never tried one dough ball until recently with the Better for Bread Flour.  The formula you set-forth can work out in a shorter amount of time than I make the preferment Lehmann dough for market.  Since I have tried out the Better for Bread in this formula. in my home oven, the final pizza did turn out good, even with a shorter time for the poolish part to ferment.  In time I might try out other flours in this same dough to see what the results would be.  I am much more comfortable trying out new ideas now, than I was in the past. Since my math skills are bad, learning how to use the dough calculating tools has helped me be able to try new pizzas.  I had to concentrate to much on how the poolish behaved and also was learning much in general on how different doughs behaved.  Maybe I can come up with another better formula for someone to try at home, using a different flour, while using a poolish. Who knows what can happen, unless I try.  A basic Lehmann dough can produce a great pizza, but adding a poolish just gives the final crumb structure something different.  If you have any ideas you want me to try, just let me know. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #750 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
After mixing my poolish today for the preferment Lehmann dough at market, I was pondering after watching how the poolish develops many times in the past over the three day period and then seeing how strong the gluten gets from just letting it cold ferment.  When I take the poolish out of the container it is very bubbly and the strands of gluten are very strong.  I never saw the poolish fall at market while cold fermenting.  It makes me wonder, if this is also how a long fermented dough can develop gluten over about 4 days or more.  This thinking was just related to the thread I am also working on trying to make a pizza like Pizzarium.  I would think that a dough like is used for a pizza in teglia, would form the tight gluten bonds during the long cold ferment, just by letting it cold ferment.  I also saw in my experiments with the preferment Lehmann dough poolish different things could happen differently with different doughs that were made from just the poolish the other week.  I donít know if anyone might agree with me or not, in letting a dough ferment (either cold or bulk room ferment) and then the gluten getting stronger just by itself after mixing to the right point, but they are in my thoughts now.

On another note, I did send Tom Lehmann a PM this morning and told him the first experiment at market with the 4% added dairy whey did give the crust great coloration, because he had asked me to let him know how my experiments worked with the added dairy whey. I did tell Tom Lehmann I was going to do a few more experiments with the added dairy whey at market, before I would decide to use dairy whey all the time in my dough.  I also gave him the link to the preferment Lehmann pizza with the added dairy whey incase he wanted to see the pictures of the pizza.  I donít know if Tom Lehmann looked at the pictures of the pizza with added dairy whey or not, but Tom Lehmann did PM me this afternoon.  This is what he said.

Norma;
The best part of using whey to get the crust color is that the lactose sugar in the whey (this is the sugar responsible for the darkening of the crust color when using whey) in not fermentably be the yeast, hence, it is not affected by any additional fermentation that the crust might receive after it leaves your control, making it great for take and bake applications.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

After Tom Lehmann reply, I now wonder how I should reply back to his PM.  I always wanted to make a take and bake pizza at market, but always had limited results, in varying degrees.  I never thought about a take and bake while using dairy whey and what effects dairy whey would have on a take and bake pizza.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #751 on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
Norma,

What Tom told you about the benefits of whey is well known on the forum. See, for example, the entry for dried dairy whey in the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#D. When Steve (the owner of the forum) and I were composing the Pizza Glossary, I am sure that I wrote the dried dairy whey entry based on what Tom had written somewhere. I believe what he means to say with respect to the take-and-bake pizza is that the lactose in the dairy whey won't get used up by the yeast even if the purchaser doesn't use the take-and-bake pizza for some time. It is common and well known that purchasers of take-and-bake pizzas don't always follow the directions for use. For example, I discussed several forms of take-and-bake abuse by purchasers at Reply 349 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg21166/topicseen.html#msg21166. Since the lactose remains in the dough, even with customer abuse, it will still provide crust coloration when the user eventually gets around to baking the pizza.

If you are interested in a take-and-bake dough, whether it includes dairy whey or not, you might follow up with Tom to see what he now suggests as a decent take-and-bake product. In the past, he has referred inquiries on take-and-bake to the PMQ Recipe Bank. Maybe things have changed since then. I would perhaps keep the request generic on the take-and-bake and then ask about the possibility of using dairy whey.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #752 on: January 28, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Peter,

As long as I have been on this forum, I even sometimes forget what I have read on the Pizza Glossary.  I am sure you are right as to what Tom meant to say. 

The same concerns you had with take and bakes in the link you referenced are my concerns about a take and bake, when I was trying different attempts for a take and bake.  My normal preferment Lehmann dough is made for use the day I use the dough.  I tried different ways before of making a take and bake and none of them were as successful as I wanted.  I even par-baked the crust at one point.  I also have a concern about making a take and bake and the skin wanting to stick to a round if a customer tries to remove it. 

I do sell some dough balls to customers, but donít advertize I do any longer, because I know if someone lets the dough in the refrigerator for more than 2 additional days, they might have problems with trying to open the dough.  I have intentionally left a dough ball in my refrigerator at home to see what would happen in an extra two days.  I can open the dough, but donít think a person that doesnít make pizza that much could open the dough. 

I will follow-up with Tom to see what he now suggests as a decent take and bake product.  I will also let Tom know what milestone his Tom Lehmann thread has now reached.  I am sure he would be proud to know how many times that thread has been viewed.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #753 on: January 28, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
I will follow-up with Tom to see what he now suggests as a decent take and bake product.  I will also let Tom know what milestone his Tom Lehmann thread has now reached.  I am sure he would be proud to know how many times that thread has been viewed.

Norma,

I have never told Tom about the Lehmann thread. I was afraid he would yell at me for all the things I did with his recipe and dough and start singing the song at   :-D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #754 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
Norma,

I have never told Tom about the Lehmann thread. I was afraid he would yell at me for all the things I did with his recipe and dough and start singing the song at   :-D.

Peter

Peter,

That song gave me a good chuckle and especially since you never told Tom Lehmann what you did with his dough formula!   :-D I thought you might have mentioned the Tom Lehmann thread to him before. Do you really think Tom Lehmann would think you ďturned his dough formula upside downĒ?  If you donít want me to mention the milestone to Tom, I wonít.  Tom seems like a good natured man.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #755 on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
Norma,

Tom may not know how his NY style recipe is being used all around the world, with a lot of credit to this forum for popularizing his recipe. To give you an idea, I spoke a few months ago with Thompson Ly, one of our members who moved to South China a few years ago to start a pizza business based on a NY style dough. At the time, he asked me for my help. I suggested Tom's NY style dough formulation and worked with him to refine it. Thompson now has three stores, with plans to open more. And he is still using Tom's recipe. Thompson told me that he is now known for his pizza throughout all of China. You can see his menu at http://www.nypdpizza.com.cn/.

I have no problem with Tom knowing about the Lehmann thread. As I noted recently in the Slice interview (at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/12/who-is-pete-zza-from-pizzamaking-com.html#continued), I credited Tom for his influence on my pizza development. And you were a beneficiary of what I learned from Tom, with your use of the original Lehmann dough formulation and the preferment Lehmann formulation at market.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #756 on: January 28, 2011, 10:46:49 PM »
Peter,

I didnít know you helped a man in China with a Lehmann formula.  From the link you referenced there are so many kind of pizzas.  Some of them are different than in the US.  I couldnít imagine eating a pizza with Ziti, but it might be good.  To think that man went on to open 3 pizzerias.  I bet you are also proud how well he did after you helped him.  I enjoyed looking at his menu and also what he called his pizzerias.  The picture on the right side of his pizzas sure look like a NY style pizza. 

I know I was a beneficiary of what you learned from Tom.  I will let him know about the milestone since you donít mind.  I might even tell him about the man in China that has become successful with his formula with your help.  Tom seems to be a very modest man.  If he says anything about his dough formula being so popular I will post what he says. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #757 on: January 28, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Norma,

I think Thompson was in his mid-twenties when he left for China. He is an entrepreneur with a good head on his shoulders. He has also been consulting with other companies that want to open up pizzerias because he now knows how to do it. He said that about 80 percent of his business is with expats, so the NY style goes over very well there. He imports pallets of canned tomatoes from the U.S. at multiples of what we pay in the U.S. but he is still profitable, mostly because of the low labor costs in China. I am happy for him. Nothing would please me more than to see him make it big time. He has always expressed his gratitude for my having helped him. When we last spoke (he said it was 3 AM his time), I offered to help him tweak the Lehmann formulation based on what I learned about the NY style since he started using it (I was thinking of a thinner crust). He told me that he and his customers liked his pizza very much as is and added that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #758 on: January 28, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »
Peter,

I am also happy for Thompson.  He really sounds like a great entrepreneur.  I wish him much more success if he does consulting now.  Thompson sounds a lot like Tom Lehmann in his modest gratitude and even talking to you at 3am his time.  Tom Lehmann has always been kind to me and although I have asked him many questions, he still takes the time to answer my questions even if I am a small business.  Thompson must also have the same attitude as Tom has in "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".  That phrase alone does sound like Tom. 

Thanks for telling me about Thompson and how he has succeeded.  I enjoy hearing a story like that.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #759 on: January 29, 2011, 09:19:40 PM »
From a little leftover piece of preferment Lehmann dough I unfroze for a Greek-style pizza, I decided to make a little boat or something similar.  I stretched the small piece out and then dressed it with my regular tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella.  The little boat was baked right on my pizza stone at around 500 degrees F.  After the little boat was baked I used my fresh basil I had started from a piece of fresh basil in the fall.  I have been feeding this bunch of fresh basil milk kefir, while in a pot with dirt and it seems to be doing well. 

I also used the preferment Lehmann dough to make a Greek-style pizza, after the advice of Peter (Pete-zza) for trying the preferment Lehmann dough for a Greek-style pizza.  The preferment Lehmann dough did work out well for a Greek-style pizza. 

This is where I posted the other pictures of the Greek-style pizza and also posted how I made the Greek-style pizza at Reply 143  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg125069.html#msg125069               

Now the preferment Lehmann dough has two more things it can be used for.  I am glad the preferment Lehmann dough did work out for a Greek-style pizza. 

After making the little boat, I can see this would be a good way to make individual pizzas for more people.  It doesnít have to be cut, (to be able to eat the little boat) but I did cut the little boat, just so the inside crumb could be seen.  The little boat was quick to make out of the leftover dough.

Pictures of little boat and some pictures of Greek-style pizza.

Norma

wordpress