A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Teglia - Not sure what I'm doing but..  (Read 407 times)

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
Teglia - Not sure what I'm doing but..
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:45:13 PM »
I ordered a steel pan from amazon, Winco 12x18. It was set to come yesterday, so I made some teglia dough 2 days ago to have a 24 hr cold ferment. The pan arrived late, was damaged, so I used a regular cookie sheet, non-shiny stainless steel.

Bread flour 100%
water 80%
IDY 7%
EVOO 4%
salt 2.5%

I combined the ingredients by hand except for salt, let sit 15 minutes, added the salt, then folded up the 'corners' once every 15 minutes for 3 episodes. It is so cool seeing the dough transform into silky velvet over those 45 minutes, with maybe a minute total of handling!

In the fridge for 2 days, folded once after 24 hours.
Brought out today about 2 hours before baking. Rose quite a bit more in room temperature, I was surprised.
Handled very nicely, gently finger-patted it out onto the cookie sheet which had a sheet of parchment. Don't know that the parchment really was necessary though. Dripped some olive oil on the dough and spread some thin tomato sauce.

The temp is the part where I don't know what I'm doing. I preheated the oven to 460, put the baking sheet on quarry tiles on a center shelf, then turned up the the oven to 480. A few minutes later I turned it down, seeing that the recipe I had recorded said 425 was the temp. But I did not really believe that, so I set it to 465  :).

A few minutes later I saw it had a little color, so I pulled it out and topped it with thin roasted eggplant steaks, a mix of pureed roasted asparagus with sauted onion and garlic mixed with some ricotta I wanted to use up, and thin slices of orange pepper.

Back in the oven for maybe 3 minutes, checked it again and the crust seemed nicely done. It was maybe a little crunchier than it needed to be, on the top and bottom, but I am not sure how crunchy (if at all) it is supposed to be.

Can someone recommend an oven temp?

Forgot to add: I took it out of the pan for the last few minutes after topping it, so it sat directly on the quarry tiles then.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:48:05 PM by john_k »

Offline jsaras

Re: Teglia - Not sure what I'm doing but..
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »
Looks legit to me
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 01:21:10 AM »
Yes, looks nice ! I like the toppings you're describing.

The baking really depends on your oven, what I know is that the stone is usually at 300°C (572°F) and the top around 250°C (482°F). In my own oven, is set the stone to the max at 350°C because of the aluminum pan, and the top at 250-260°C.

EDIT: the oven I'm talking about is a home "semi-professional" oven, it's small (40*40cm), has a stone, and can be set at 350°C.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:33:53 AM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »
Toppings:

The rocatta/asparagus confit stuff was a little rich and I ended up scraping it off.

If I did it again I might use pureed lowfat cottage cheese (got the idea from a lasagna recipe) as a base with some kind of sauteed green veg like spinach or asparagus in it. Also Tony G. uses a pastry bag to apply his ricotta, and I might try that, as the glops on the pizza were a little sloppy.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T