A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 94164 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2010, 05:47:10 AM »
The pie is finished using the natural starter made with rye and then fed with Caputo. 

Norma

Bravissima Norma!  The crumb is picture perfect.   Did you use Caputo flour?  The reason that I ask is that it could be attributed to the lack of browning that you describe.  It can be easily fixed by adding a little malt extract to the dough (1-2%).  Keep up the great work.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:48:52 AM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2010, 06:12:00 AM »

Did you use Caputo flour? 

Matt

Matt,

I used high-gluten flour KASL for the dough part.  The natural starter was first made with rye flour and then when the starter was thriving, kept feeding with Antimo Caputo tip "00".  I thought there wouldn't be enough strength in the dough part if I used the Antimo Caputo tip "00" for the dough part.  Since my old oven (33 years old) won't get above 450 degrees F, even if left on for more than one hour, that I probably would need more strength in the dough portion.  I will have to try this recipe again with another flour or flours in the dough part and see what happens.  I had used the aluminum pan before when making the other two pies and didn't have any problems with the dough browning on the bottom. 

What I found most interesting was how well the natural starter helped the dough to rise.  I had never tried a natural starter for anything before, but was pleasantly surprised that it did help the dough rise. 
Toby understands more about natural starters than I do.  Maybe he could answer your question better than I can.  Did you see the Nearyneapolitan he made.  It looked exactly like a Neapolitan pie and he made the pie in a home oven. 

Thanks,
Norma
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:14:00 AM by norma427 »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2010, 06:26:09 AM »
Matt,

I used high-gluten flour KASL for the dough part.  The natural starter was first made with rye flour and then when the starter was thriving, kept feeding with Antimo Caputo tip "00".  I thought there wouldn't be enough strength in the dough part if I used the Antimo Caputo tip "00" for the dough part.  Since my old oven (33 years old) won't get above 450 degrees F, even if left on for more than one hour, that I probably would need more strength in the dough portion.  I will have to try this recipe again with another flour or flours in the dough part and see what happens.  I had used the aluminum pan before when making the other two pies and didn't have any problems with the dough browning on the bottom. 

What I found most interesting was how well the natural starter helped the dough to rise.  I had never tried a natural starter for anything before, but was pleasantly surprised that it did help the dough rise. 
Toby understands more about natural starters than I do.  Maybe he could answer your question better than I can.  Did you see the Nearyneapolitan he made.  It looked exactly like a Neapolitan pie and he made the pie in a home oven. 

Thanks,
Norma

Hi Norma,
Yes I saw his pizza, it looked great.  The last batch that I made was with 50-50 Semola & Caputo.  If you are able to find semola, give it a shot I think that you'll really like it.  It gives the dough a nice soft texture.  I have a case of semola in 1kg bags.  I would gladly send you a bag if you can't find it.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:20 AM »
Hi Norma,
Yes I saw his pizza, it looked great.  The last batch that I made was with 50-50 Semola & Caputo.  If you are able to find semola, give it a shot I think that you'll really like it.  It gives the dough a nice soft texture.  I have a case of semola in 1kg bags.  I would gladly send you a bag if you can't find it.

Matt

Matt,

Wow, that is kind of you.  :) I am going to try either at our Italian Grocery in Lancaster or some other place near here to see if I can find any durmun like Semolina.  My oldest daughter is in  Queens New York for the next few days, so maybe she could find me some, also.  If I asked her to find some flour for me, what kind should it be?
Will let you know if either of us has any luck.

Thanks again,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2010, 06:46:02 AM »
Matt,

Wow, that is kind of you.  :) I am going to try either at our Italian Grocery in Lancaster or some other place near here to see if I can find any durmun like Semolina.  My oldest daughter is in  Queens New York for the next few days, so maybe she could find me some, also.  If I asked her to find some flour for me, what kind should it be?
Will let you know if either of us has any luck.

Thanks again,

Norma

My pleasure Norma,
Your looking for Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata.  She'll definitely be able to find it in Queens, If not, then let me know.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:31 AM »
My pleasure Norma,
Your looking for Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata.  She'll definitely be able to find it in Queens, If not, then let me know.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the name of the flour.  :)  I will let you know if either of us find the  Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »
What is Sfincione?  Maybe one of these will help to really learn what Sfincione is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focaccia

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art250.htm

http://siciliancookingplus.com/delicacies/09_sfincione.html

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
Matt,

My daughter found some Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata flour for me, today.  They just went to an Italian store and the flour was there. One of my daughters friends in Queens is Italian, so they knew where to look.  The price was 3.99 for a 3 lb. bag. I told her to purchase 3 bags. Do you use this flour in anything else like pasta?  I know it must be higher than you pay, but do you mind telling me how expensive this kind of flour is where you live? 

Thanks again for all your help,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
Matt,

My daughter found some Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata flour for me, today.  They just went to an Italian store and the flour was there. One of my daughters friends in Queens is Italian, so they knew where to look.  The price was 3.99 for a 3 lb. bag. I told her to purchase 3 bags. Do you use this flour in anything else like pasta?  I know it must be higher than you pay, but do you mind telling me how expensive this kind of flour is where you live? 

Thanks again for all your help,

Norma

Hi Norma,
Glad they found it for you.  You can definitely use it for fresh pasta.  When I make fresh pasta I prefer egg pasta made with just organic AP flour & organic eggs oven semola pasta which is made with semola & water in place of egg.  I am pretty fortunate in the sense that my wife's family had a chain of italian supermarkets so I know quite a few food wholesalers.  The semola that I buy is made by Divella & retails for around $3.49/1kg bag.  I pay $22.50 for a case of 10.  I get a really good deal on Caputo Pizzeria as well, $30 cdn. for a 55lb bag.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:18:38 PM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »
Hi Norma,
Glad they found it for you.  You can definitely use it for fresh pasta.  When I make fresh pasta I prefer egg pasta made with just organic AP flour & organic eggs oven semola pasta which is made with semola & water in place of egg.  I am pretty fortunate in the sense that my wife's family had a chain of italian supermarkets so I know quite a few food wholesalers.  The semola that I buy is made by Divella & retails for around $3.49/1kg bag.  I pay $22.50 for a case of 10.  I get a really good deal on Caputo Pizzeria as well, $30 cdn. for a 55lb bag.

Matt

Matt,

Wow, thanks for the information and you are fortunate to be able to get the flour at those prices. I can buy other flours at wholesale, but they don't offer the kind of products you are talking about.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
Norma427,

I thought I just sent you a post but anyway I bought a bag of 50lbs extra durum flour for $16. A bag of caputo or san felice 00 for $2.49 for 1kg

Offline Matthew

« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »

Norma

Norma,
I'm so tempted to give this a shot.  100% hydration with regular tipo 00 which is almost double the recommended absorbtion (for Caputo) hmmmm.  It will either be very good or very bad.  My DLX will love that consistency!

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Norma,
I'm so tempted to give this a shot.  100% hydration with regular tipo 00 which is almost double the recommended absorbtion (for Caputo) hmmmm.  It will either be very good or very bad.  My DLX will love that consistency!

Matt

Matt,

If you give it a shot..let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
wow , what a crazy video.  seems time is needed more than any special mixer?  does anyone else conclude that? -marc

Offline Matthew

« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
wow , what a crazy video.  seems time is needed more than any special mixer?  does anyone else conclude that? -marc

Hey Marc,

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm trying to figure out a plan of attack.  The highest hydration that I have gone up to is 80% & have had very good results using a poolish & even better results using a starter.  This formula does not call for either & uses fresh yeast.  I'm thinking that this level of hydration requires a long & slow mix time followed by a few regeneri.  Now the question; Caputo, Strong Bakers Flour, or Semola.  Or a combination of Semola & either Caputo or Bakers Flour?

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »
These are some more videos on Sfincione de Palermo or Foccacia.  The ones at the end are at a pizza making school in Italy.  I find it interesting about some of these that donít use mixers.  There is one made with raw potatoes, with a ricer..will have to try that sometime.  Since I am old school, I enjoy doing dough by hand.

Potatoes in recipe

I find this interesting..a pizza school in Italy.  Next videos from pizza school.

OMG..look at this large skins

and the children learning to make pizza.

Rotating oven

and there are more if you keep looking...

Norma
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:55:08 AM by norma427 »

Offline Matthew

Focaccia Barese
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2010, 06:52:57 AM »
Hi Norma,

Inspired by one of the videos that you posted, here's my version.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »
Matt,

Your pies look so amazing!  :chef:  Could you tell me how the taste was?  You truly are a great pizza maker.

Good to hear that one of the videos was an inspiration for you.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »
Matt,

Your pies look so amazing!  :chef:  Could you tell me how the taste was?  You truly are a great pizza maker.

Good to hear that one of the videos was an inspiration for you.

Thanks,

Norma

Norma,
Thanks again, you're too kind.  My favorite so far, everyone absolutely loved it.  Another forum member was kind enough to pick up some traditional focaccia barese pans for me while he was there over the holidays.  The only problem is it's so damn expensive to ship them to me.  I have a US mailing address so we're holding off until I can get there.

Matt

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:57:42 AM by Matthew »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
Matt,  those came out really nice.  I assume that is a 100% hydration formula....  what did you go with for flour?  -marc

wordpress