A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.  (Read 94147 times)

Infoodel

Re: Felice Anno Nuovo! Pizza Sfincione to greet the new year.
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Oooo. Nice job Matt! Ditto Marc's question re: flour.

Toby

Offline Matthew

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
@ Marc & Toby,
Thanks very much.  I decided to go with 70% hydration & in keeping with the traditional ingredients I incorporated potato into the dough.  I also decided to add a Sicilian twist & went with 50% semola.  The balance of the flour was Caputo pizzeria.  I also decided to use malt extract instead of sugar.  I went with a TF of .2.  My actual yield was 96% of the total dough weight so in future I will add 4% bowl residue.

After going through numerous recipes, I came up with the following:

Tipo 00   50.00%
Semola   50.00%
Water    70.00%
Salt   0.80%
Malt   0.80%
CY   5.00%
Potato   30.00%

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
Tried the starter that was made first with rye-high-gluten, then with added gluten, which had bubbled over the day before.  I modified a recipe that Warren had posted under Sicilain under his web site.  I just wanted to try and see what would happen with the dough and modified recipe.  I also wanted to try out all mixing by hand and the pizza stone. 

The dough was all mixed by hand.  The starter was added to some durum flour, AP flour, water, more vital gluten and extra IDY.  The mixture was left to ferment for awhile. Next the final dough was mixed AP flour, Durum flour, water, oil, sea salt, and more IDY.  Then incorporated into the starter and left to rest, again

I first thought about making another Sicilain pizza, but wanted to try the stone, so the dough was made round.  It was hard to handle because it was a high hydration. 

Used the durum flour Warren gave me.  Will have to try out Bob1's durum flour the next time. 

This pizza didnít turn out like I had wanted, but it was probably because I modified everything.

In conclusion, if I try this recipe again, I would put the dough into an oblong pan with oil.  I really enjoyed mixing the dough by hand.

Used Starters rye-high-gluten-some-wheat gluten that bubbled over yesterday
added to this starter
starter 80 g
400  grams water
30 g durum flour
5 g vital gluten
330 g AP Flour
1/4 tsp. IDY

Final Dough mixed in with above ingredients

45 g durum flour
330 g AP flour
1/4 tsp. IDY
10 g sea salt
24 g olive oil
100 g water

mixed, starter with other ingredients, let set for 3 hours, mixed in final dough, let 3 more hours, formed ball, let sit for 1 Ĺ hr.

Baked at 450 degrees F

Norma
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:08:05 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 08:20:42 AM »
rest of pictures

Offline Matthew

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
Very nice!

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:05 AM »
Matt,

Thanks, I think the dough would have done better baked with oil in an oblong pan.  The taste was good, though.  I also was out of mozzarella here at home, so just used grated Parmesan.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:05:49 AM by norma427 »

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
This pizza didnít turn out like I had wanted

In which way(s) ?

-JLP

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
JLP,

I am looking for a certain flavor profile..I am not there, yet.  I like how nice and light the crust was, but want to try other methods and see what might work.  If I have time this weekend, I am going to try another kind of foccacia, with another natural starter.  I would like some day to be able to sell this kind of product at market.  I just have to go though the process of finding out what kind of formula I really want to use and what toppings go well with it. 
I will always post my results and my opinion of what I thought of the different forumla's.  If I ever get it the way I want to, I will let you know. 
I think the dough has to be really high in hydration.  I am not sure if a natural starter is the best.  Maybe a poolish..only time will tell.
I didn't like how the pie turned out on the pizza stone.  I will use another kind of pan the next time.  I want to be able to mix the dough by hand and get a feel on how the dough behaves or doesn't.  After that, I want to try this kind of dough in my mixer at market.
After watching and listening to Warren at his Bread Making Demo on Saturday, I have some new ideas, but don't know what will work.  ???

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Trying another formula for making a foccacia type Sfincione .  This time the formula water is 85% hydration.  Measurements for all ingredients are percent of the flour. 
I decided to mix the dough by hand a give three riposos and then let the dough ferment for 24 hours at room temperature. 
There are 3 flours going into this foccacia type Sfincione.   Caputo, KAAP, and durum flour Bob1 had brought me last Saturday. There is less durum flour than the Caputo and KAAP.  I am also using one of the natural starters Toby helped me with.  The starter is first Rye, then after activated added high-gluten, then a little VWG, and finally now being fed wheat flour.  There were a couple of grains of IDY added to help the dough to rise. 
I will post the formula and results tomorrow whether the pie turns out good or bad.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:56:01 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »
The dough tonight at 10:00 PM.

Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
Norma,

Did you let that dough rise in a pan and then turn it out onto a surface ? If so, was it difficult to do so at 85% hydration (did it stick to the bottom or sides, etc.) ?

-JLP

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
Norma,

Did you let that dough rise in a pan and then turn it out onto a surface ? If so, was it difficult to do so at 85% hydration (did it stick to the bottom or sides, etc.) ?

-JLP

JLP,

I am going to finish making this today.  It is now sitting in a clear food safe container (12"x19").  I am letting it room ferment for 24 hours.  I plan on dumping it out of the container into a pan.  I will let you know more (if there were problems with it sticking to the pan) after I am finished, today.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
This is what the dough looks like after taking out of the container.  The dough was easy to take out.  I just used a spatula and helped it into the pan.  The dough then was easy to spread in the pan with my fingers.  I hope this pan is the right kind to use for this pie.  I am going to let the dough ferment for an hour or longer and then prebake or parbake (still not sure which term to use), before adding the dressing and then finish baking. Still am not sure if I made enough dough for this size pan.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »
The Sfincione type pie that was made today was tasty.  The pie was first parbake or (prebaked) for about 7 minutes.  It was then dressed with mozzarella, sauce, and then bread crumbs that were mixed with olive oil, oregano, and Italian seasonings.  The pie was baked at 450 degrees F or about 25 minutes.  The crust still didnít brown enough, so it was taken out of the oven, cut with a scissors and put on a screen to make the bottom crust browner. 
In conclusion, although this pie was tasty, I think I would have parbaked it longer.  The pie seemed to rise very well while parbaking, but after the toppings were added and baked, again it seemed to lower the height of the pie.  I am not sure if this contributed to a lower pie or if I needed more dough.

This is the formula I used for this pie.

Measurement percent of flour      3rd foccacia attempt

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):    475.01 g  |  16.76 oz | 1.05 lbs
Water (85%):    403.76 g  |  14.24 oz | 0.89 lbs
Salt (2.7%):    12.83 g | 0.45 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.3 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
Total (187.7%):   891.6 g | 31.45 oz | 1.97 lbs | TF = 0.1456

note: KAAP 138.35 g    Caputo 257.66 g   Durum 79.00 g

Preferment: Natural Starter   rye-wine 5g used Caputo to feed
Flour:    5.49 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs
Water:    11.14 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs
Total:    16.63 g | 0.59 oz | 0.04 lbs

Final Dough:
Flour:    469.52 g | 16.56 oz | 1.04 lbs
Water:    392.62 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs
Salt:    12.83 g | 0.45 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.3 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
Preferment:    16.63 g | 0.59 oz | 0.04 lbs
Total:    891.6 g | 31.45 oz | 1.97 lbs  | TF = 0.1456

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Looks good Norma,
How would you rate the taste of the starter?  I will be curious to see how the wheat starters taste.  I have my Camoldi started for about a week now. 

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
Looks good Norma,
How would you rate the taste of the starter?  I will be curious to see how the wheat starters taste.  I have my Camoldi started for about a week now. 

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

The natural starter used in this pie was first rye flour, until activated.  Then fed High-Gluten, then fed wheat.  In the finished pie you couldn't taste any sourdough flavor.  When smelling the starter and while the pie was fermenting, it smelled like sourdough. 
All the natural starters that I have been feeding were all started with rye, except one I started with wheat.

Will be good to hear how you like your Camoldi, when you make a pie.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
I am going to try another Sfincione foccacia style again this weekend.  I am now using a dough with 75% hydration.  The flours used are 2/3 KAAP and 1/3 Semola Di Grano Duro.. Matt advised using the Semola D Grano Duro flour and my daughter bought it in New York.
I am using another one of the starters Toby helped me with.  The dough was mixed by hand and is going to ferment for 24 hours.

I will post pictures tomorrow and and explain how the pie turned out.

Sounds like we are going to be getting a lot of snow..so it's time to make pizza.  :pizza:

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
I am going to try another Sfincione foccacia style again this weekend.  I am now using a dough with 75% hydration.  The flours used are 2/3 KAAP and 1/3 Semola Di Grano Duro.. Matt advised using the Semola D Grano Duro flour and my daughter bought it in New York.
I am using another one of the starters Toby helped me with.  The dough was mixed by hand and is going to ferment for 24 hours.

I will post pictures tomorrow and and explain how the pie turned out.

Sounds like we are going to be getting a lot of snow..so it's time to make pizza.  :pizza:

Norma

Hi Norma,
Is that regular semola or "rimacinata"?  I think that you may have the wrong one, I hope that I'm wrong.  The rimacinata (reground) should have the exact same texture & feel as regular four.  I'm going to do up another batch tomorrow for my niece's birthday party.  I tweaked my formula a bit from the last batch of focaccia barese.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
Hi Norma,
Is that regular semola or "rimacinata"?  I think that you may have the wrong one, I hope that I'm wrong.  The rimacinata (reground) should have the exact same texture & feel as regular four.  I'm going to do up another batch tomorrow for my niece's birthday party.  I tweaked my formula a bit from the last batch of focaccia barese.

Matt

Matt,

I just took a picture of some of the bags.  Is this the right kind? 
Hope to hear how yours turned out.  What kind of other flour did you use, if any? I am just trying different things to see what happens.  ::)

Edit:  I guess I have the wrong kind..will try this for awhile and then see if I want to purchase the kind of flour Matt is talking about..

Thanks,
Norma
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:47:11 PM by norma427 »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
Matt,

I just took a picture of some of the bags.  Is this the right kind? 
Hope to hear how yours turned out.  What kind of other flour did you use, if any? I am just trying different things to see what happens.  ::)

Edit:  I guess I have the wrong kind..will try this for awhile and then see if I want to purchase the kind of flour Matt is talking about..

Thanks,
Norma

Hi Norma,
I am using the one pictured below.  The one that you have is for making pasta.  My last batch was mixed 50/50 with Caputo Pizzeria.  In todays batch I am going with 67/33 blend of Semola/Caputo.  Let me know what happens.

From the Divella website: (translated to English)

Semola di Grano Duro Rimacinata:
Durum semolina, characterized by the typical yellow color and fine grain (finer than the bran of wheat) is recommended for the preparation of bread wheat.
In many regions of Southern Italy, in fact, historically devoted to durum wheat, bread dough is used, alone or in addition to wheat flour, semolina of hard wheat semolina. The dough absorbs water faster and is easier to draw and to work with. The result is a fragrant and tasty bread with a more yellow crumb and a crust thicker and darker and that remains soft for several days.
It's recommended by itself or mixed with flour "00" Divella also for focaccia, pizza, fresh pasta and fresh pasta made with egg mix by hand or with machines for making bread and pasta.
Also good to give more fragrance and to get more prepared salted or fried golden and crisp.

Usage: its size makes it particularly suitable for baking and the preparation of homemade pasta.

Dry gluten min. 13.00%
PROTEIN (NX5, 70) min. 14.00%
ABSORPTION 60-63%
COLOR (160 microns) 22.7 b
DEVELOPMENT TIME 1 '50 "- 2'
STABILITY ' 4'-6 '
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:08:07 AM by Matthew »

wordpress